Making a delicious bechamel at home is easier than you think, once you make this and taste it you’ll never use premade ones again! This is the perfect bechamel sauce, for pasta dishes, creamy chicken or even white pizzas! The ingredients list is simple, short and sweet too. Why not try it? If you make too much, you can store this in the fridge for up to 4 days!
|Prep Time: 2 minutes||Cooking Time: 8 minutes||Total Time: 10 minutes|
Key words: Bechamel, white Sauce, basic sauce
MAKES: 1L 200ml
- 120g Butter
- 80g Flour
- 2 Tbsp Soft Cheese
- 450ml Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Parsely/ Chives
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Note: This is enough sauce for a big family lasanga serving 6 people. Divide or multiply the recipe to your desired quantity for any recipe you wish to use it in.
- Melt the butter in a pot and add the flour when the butter is 100% liquid.
- Whisk the butter and flour together over a low to medium heat and it should come together in a soft dough-like form. Whisk this for a while just to cook out the flour, 2 or so minutes.
- Add the milk to the butter and flour 100mls at a time, if you add it in all at once, you might get lumps in your sauce, if you’re somehow lucky enough to avoid lumpy bechamel, I’m sure your stove top will be covered with milk splatters. I guarantee one of those will get you, so please 100mls at a time.
- Once all the milk has been added, add the soft cheese, parsely, salt and pepper and give that a good whisk. At this point you can take a spoon and taste to see if the bechamel is floury. If it is just cook the sauce for a few more minutes, whisking gently so that it doesn’t burn on the buttom.
Remember to Cook out the flour and butter before milk additions
Suggested recipes for bechamel:
- Pasta Bakes
- White Pizza
- Creamed Vegetables
- Creamed Pasta recipes w/ Fish or Poultry
- Baked Potatoes