A good friend of mine and I once visited an small but brilliant pizza restaurant in Dublin, their special was potato pizza! This blew my mind, I love pizza and I love potatoes but how would they taste together? Safe to say, it was one of the best pizzas I have ever had and I have had many pizzas! I’ve been thinking about that pizza lately and I decided to recreate my own version with the addtion of toasted red onions, just for some finesse and trust me when I say it’s gooooood. You have to try this one!
|Dough Prep time 20 minutes||Dough Resting time (dependent on you): 1hr-6 days||Pizza assembly and cooking time 20 minutes|
What you need:
Makes 2 Medium thin crust pizzas
Pizza dough (I halved my ultimate pizza dough recipe) :
Yeilds ~410g of dough
- 1.5 Cups & 2 Tbsp / 200g cups Bread flour
- 1/2 Cup & 1 Tbsp / 140 ml Water
- 1/2 Tsp Instant Dried Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp Honey
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- ~180g Potatoes (4 small)
- 2 Small onions
- 1.5 TBSP oil
- 60-80g Cheese 50/50 cheddar and mozzarella
- 4 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 Tsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Tsp dried basil
- Generous pinch of Sugar
If the dough had been resting in the fridge, I recommend you remove it from the fridge to bring it to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to the highest temperature it can go to with your pizza stone or baking tray inside
- Vertically slice the onion (don’t slice them too thinly we don’t want them to be super caramelised, we need texture) and add it to a pan with the oil at a very low heat. They will be cooking for 20 minutes to get nice and toasted.
- While the onions cook keep an eye on them stirring every few minutes. During this time you can prepare the potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes and poke them with a fork, place them in a bowl or on a plate and put them in the microave for ~1 minute and 30 seconds until they are softened. Allow them to cool.
- Grate the cheese if it is not already grated and prepare your tomato sauce my combining the tomato puree and paste, sugar and dried basil. Remember to keep an eye on the onions
- When the potatoes are cool, slice them and put them aside.
- At this stage the onions should be done cooking and you can turn the heat off. Transfer the onions into a bowl, leaving the any excess oil behind!
- Begin rolling out your dough on a floured surfaceand when it has finally stretched out, transfer it to a sheet of baking paper.
- Add your toppings to the pizza and carefully open the oven door, there will be a lot of heat in there, but that’s what pizza loves!
- If you do not have a paddle to transfer your pizza into the oven, use oven gloves to take the tray out and slide the pizza on the baking paper onto the tray and let that bake for 5-8 minutes
- Voila! your pizza is ready. Try it out and see how good it is!!