Once you make this recipe, you will never buy flatbread again. It’s so easy and produces an amazing flatbread that will keep you going back for more! Flatbreads are so versatile, you can have them on their own, with a dip, a stew, curry, whatever you like! This flatbread recipe makes a bread that’s soft and wonderfully chewy, to make it I used my all time favourite dough recipe, which you can find by clicking here. I love making dough at the beginning of the week and keeping it in the fridge to age, and use it as I need! Dough is one of those things that definitely gets better with age! For this recipe I used 3 day old dough, still young but it gave me a super yummy result. You must try this homemade flatbread this week.
What you will need:
Makes ~8 Flat breads
|Dough prep time: 20 minutes||Dough resting time (dependant on you): 1hr- 4days||Cook time: 20 minutes|
- 1.5 Cups & 2 Tbsp / 200g cups Bread flour
- 1/2 Cup & 1 Tbsp / 140 ml Water
- 1/2 Tsp Instant Dried Yeast
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp Honey
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 4 Tbsp Softened Butter
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- To make the dough, pour the warm water into a bowl and add the honey and yeast, mix that to combine everthing, don’t worry if the honey doesn’t completely dissolve, it will get mixed it.
- To that add the oil, flour and salt, and bring that together with your hands in the bowl, if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment you can let that go for up to 8 minutes to mix for you, until the dough is smooth and elastic. If you are hand kneading turn the dough out onto a surface with any flour left on the bottom of the bowl. You don’t need to flour the surface because this dough is not that sticky. See the pictorial for my dough recipe here.
- I knead until the dough is smooth and well combined for up to 10 minutes! I put the dough in the fridge( you don’t have to age the dough, but it really doest give a fantastic flavour)
- On day 3 when I decided I wanted flatbread, I took the dough out of the fridge and left it in a warm place to come up to room temp.
- When the dough is ready, mix the butter, oil and parsely in a small bowl
- Divide the dough into ~ equal portions, roll out each portion as thin as you can ~ 3 mm.
- When the dough is rolled out add a teaspoon full of the butter mixture to a pan and heat up until melted, place the flat bread in and cover with a lid for 1-2 minutes until golden underneath.
- Use a spatula to lift the flatbread and add another spoonfull of the butter mixture to the pan and flip the flat bread over to cook and brown on the other side with the lid on.
- While that side browns you can begin rolling out your next flat bread. Find a rythm, so that as one comes out the next goes in!
- Cook all your dough portions and serve them up. It’s that easy, try it and see!
Ready to work this aged dough
Dough: rounded and portioned
Roll out as thin as you can because it will spring back a bit in the pan
I love this texture!
Adding butter to fry the other side of the flatbread
If I hadn’t convinced you to try these with words, this picture will do just that.