Tea time can never be complete without a delicious treat! I’m adding an irresistable one to your menus today. These scones are lemony, soft and perfectly finished with a drizzle of my yummy lemon syrup. It’s pretty safe to say that I LOVE scones, they are super easy to make, quick to bake and simply delicious.
The ingredients list is short and simple, making it easy for anyone to make these at home. They are perfect ‘go to’ for entertaining your family and friends with their favourite tea or coffee this winter! Without further delay, let’s get right in to it!
|Prep Time: 15 minutes||Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes||Total Time: 45 minutes|
Course: Tea Time
Key words: Lemons, scones, sweet, tea time
- 550g Self- Raising Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 200g Chilled Butter
- 100g Castor Sugar
- 100ml Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 25 ml Lemon Juice
- Zest of 1 Large Lemon
- 60g Castor Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Chill your butter by putting it in the freezer for 5/10 mins before you begin. Using firm butter is best for a better textured scone.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C/ 356 degrees F and prepare two baking sheets/ pans with baking paper.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and to that add the chilled butter (cubed). Rub them in together using your finger tips. Keep rubbing in until the flour and butter resembles breadcrumbs. This can take some time and effort, just try and perservere until you get there.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and lemon zest to the bowl and mix them in until evenly distributed.
- Add the buttermilk, egg and lemon juice. Bring the dough together to a soft ball.
- Lightly flour your work surface and put the dough on the surface.
- Divide the dough in 2.
- Lightly flour your hands and press the dough down to spread it out and form it into a disc, you can use a rolling pin either if you prefer.
- Cut each disc into 6 pieces using a knife. Transfer the pieces in order onto the prepared trays.
- Pour a little extra milk in your bowl and get a pastry brush to brush the scones with the milk. This will give them a nice golden finish when baked!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. If they touched while baking simply trim your edges to keep a nice wedge shape to the scones!
- If you want to make the lemon glaze, simple mix the lemon juice and castor sugar together in a cup or small bowl, place in the microwave for up to 1 minute to melt down the sugar and drizzle it on top of the scones while they are still warm.