Everyone loves a good pasta dish. We all have our favourites, the ones that we go back to time and time again. This is a definite one for me and once you try it, it will surely be one of yours too! The ingredients list for this one is simple. We are going to use 10 basic ingredients to produce a lovely dish!
The 2 key elements of this dish we can’t ignore are: The crsipy mushrooms which add texture, colour and amazing flavour to the dish, and of course the sauce! I have no words for this sauce. Just try one spoonful of this sauce and you’ll be as speechless as I am! It’s so incredibley delicious and brings everything together perfectly. It is by far one of the best and simple sauces you can make and recycle in many other recipes! It works very well with any kind of pasta dish and is a great one to use for potato dishes too! To be honest it’s so good you’ll try and put it on just about anything and everything you can!
So do you want to see how it’s done? Let’s jump right to it! See the recipe below:
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time: 25 minutes||Total Time: 35 minutes|
Course: Main meal
Cuisine: Italian, vegetarian
Key words: Rigatoni, mushrooms, bechamel, dinner, vegetarian
- 180g Rigatoni
- 150g Chestnut Mushroom
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 30g Butter
- 20g Flour
- 220ml milk
- 35g Mature Cheddar Cheese
- Salt & Fresh Black Pepper
- 4 Tsp Oil
- Begin by boiling the rigatoni in a pot with a generous pinch of salt. Boil it until it is al dente. This can take between 8 to 15 minutes.
- While the rigatoni boils, grate the cheese for the sauce later and finely dice the onion and mince the garlic cloves.
- Heat up a pan with 2 tsp of oil and fry the onions and garlic on a low heat until the onions are tender and the garlic is becoming golden.
- Keep an eye on the rigatoni and when it is cooked simply drain it and put it aside. (Keep the pot)
- To make the sauce: melt the butter in the same pot you boiled the rigatoni. As the butter melts add the cooked onions and garlic.
- Once the butter is completely melted add the flour and whisk until combined well.
- Keep stirring and cooking the butter and flour together for 1/2 minutes.
- Now add the milk and whisk well. As the sauce thickens add the grated cheese.
- Once the cheese has melted season the sauce with salt and freashly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Add the drained rigatoni to the pot of sauce and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula to evenly coak the rigatoni with sauce.
- Aloow this to cook on a low heat together for 5 minutes.
- While the rigatoni and sauce cook together, you can make the crispy mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms and heat a large pan of the remaining 2 tsp oil. When the oil is hot add the sliced mushrooms and allow them the cook at a high heat (don’t season them until they are crispy). Stir to turn them over occasionally until the become golden and crispy. Once they are crisp you can season with salt and pepper.
- When everything is complete you can serve the rigatoni and garnish with the crispy mushrooms.
Now for the most important step! Enjoy xx