Winter doesn’t seem to be coming to an end anytime soon so soup season can continue in it’s full glory!! I believe this is the first ever soup recipe I’ve posted on here, and I can hardly believe it, given I am a huge fan of it. I’d take it any day, any time with a slice of buttered brown soda bread and there you have it, ultimate comfort food! I have made some a hearty chickpea and potato soup to share with you, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
The ingredients in this soup are simple and you probably already have them, in your pantry. We have the humble potato which always sneaks it’s way into many of my dishes. We all know it and love it and they really make this soup more filling, it feels more like a comforting and satisfying meal.
Now for a little bit about the chickpeas. I am a huge fan of chickpeas, they get way less credit than they deserve! They are a great source of plant based protein as well as fiber, iron, zinc, phosphorus and B vitamins. They also improves digestion thanks to their high fiber content and also provide you with slow releasing carbs that help keep you fuller for longer, something anyon will appreciate especially those on a weight loss diet.
Kallo Organic Vegetable Stock Cubes
These deserve their own heading because I rarely try somethng new and like it, so when I do I have to tell the world about it! This was my first time using the Kallo stock cubes of any kind and I absolutely loved them in this soup! I used the “very low salt” type and they didn’t dissapoint. This is by no means sponsored (but hey Kallo, I’m free for partnerships so hit me up!!)
In general I feel using stock cubes can be tricky, some of them just aren’t nice, overly salty or bland, while others can be full of preservatives and artificial additives that are simply uneccessary. For this reason I don’t generally use stock cubes, but I decided to buy these with a friend randomly one day, she made me potato gratin with them and I was impressed enough that I had to try putting them into a dish myself, and then, this humble soup of mine was born! It was simple and quite satifying!
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time: 15 minutes||Total Time: 35 minutes|
Course: Lunch/ Dinner
Key words: Potatoes, Chickpeas, Kallo Stock, Soup
- 1 Can of Chickpeas (240g)
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 200g Potatoes (cubed)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Kallo Organic Vegetable stock Cubes
- 800ml Boiled Water
- 1/4 Tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1.5 Tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- 4.5 Tsp Cold Milk
- 2.5 Tsp Cornflour
- Croutons to finish (optional)
- Add the oil to a saucepan, slice or dice the red onion and add it in to the saucepan along with the minced garlic cloves and fry over medium heat.
- To the saucepan add your cubed potatoes and stir occasionally to cook.
- While that’s cooking, add the vegetable stock cubes to a jug of the boiled water and stir to dissolve.
- Add all the spices to the saucepan and stir to combine everything. To that add the stock and the chickpeas and stir.
- In a small bowl/ cup mix cold milk with the cornflour to dissolve, then stir in the mixture to the soup to help thicken it.
- Allow this to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then serve.