This carrot cake recipe is wonderfully moist, delicious and easy to make. It’s covered in a homemade cream cheese frosting for the perfect, classic take on this cake. It is undoubtably my absolute favourite!
HOW TO MAKE CARROT CAKE
A great thing about making a carrot cake from scratch is that you can control what you decide to put into it. This cake has many options, you can cadd different nuts, pineapple or even raisins, allowing you to personalize to your tastes. The recipe is written just as I like it best, but you can make adjustments, giving it your own personal touch.
The hardest thing about making this cake is grating all the carrots, but trust me you will get through it, there is light at the end of the tunnel! A neat trick I have recently discovered is shredding them in a food processor with a grater attachment, it works wonders!!
After this all you will need to do is to mix the wet ingredients in with the dry then add the carrots and walnuts (or any other add ins you like).
Once the cake is baked, frost it with the cream cheese frosting, the two pair perfectly together and there couldn’t be a better combination. I finished the cake off with some fondant carrots I made, but you can cover yours in crushed, roasted walnuts or pecans or leave it plain and simple, either way it will taste great!
You can serve your cake at room temperature, but for it to keep nice and fresh, you can refrigerate it. This is especially because it is freosted with cream cheese frosting.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes||Total Time: 50 minutes|
Key words: Carrot cake, dessert, cakes
Makes: 3 layer 9 inch cake
- 400g Self-raising flour
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 250g Dark brown sugar
- 350ml Vegetable oil
- 6 eggs
- 500g Carrots, (peeled and grated)
- 100g Chopped walnuts (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 500g Icing sugar
- 60g Cream/ soft cheese
- 120g Butter
- Preheat your oven to 175°C / 350°F, line three 9 inch baking tins with baking paper.
- Add the dry ingredients ( flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar) to a mixing bowl, and mix everything until there are no clumps.
- Add in the eggs and oil and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Stir the carrots and walnuts into the batter until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking tins and bake at 175°C / 350°F for 35- 40 mins
Cream cheese frosting
- Whisk the butter and cream cheese together until they are just combined.
- Add the icing sugar, Pulse the mixer so the icing sugar doesn’t jump out of the bowl.
- Mix until the frosting is smooth and combined!
Serve & enjoy.